Monday, February 10, 2020

Christkindlmarkts 2019...Day 4: Coburg and Nuernberg

Saturday was the only day that we had train tickets reserved.  All the other trips we traveled with the flexible Bayern ticket, but on this day we traveled via a faster train so the tickets were purchased well in advance. 

We started our day with breakfast and Ken joined me for a run.  We ran to the park and enjoyed a drizzly morning.  Afterwards it was to the train station we went!

European train travel essentials.  The paprika chips are amazing!

Our first stop once we arrived in Coburg was the Christkindlmarkt for a Coburg brat.  Rumor has it that the Coburger brat has special approval by the German version of the FDA due to the egg white that is used to season it.  It was delicious!

Ken enjoying his first bite of his Coburger brat.


I chose ketchup for my Coburger brat instead of the traditional mustard.  I loved it.

The remainder of our time at the Coburg Weihnachtsmarkt consisted of us wandering around and drinking gluhwein.  I was disappointed that they did not have any wooden ornaments that said Coburg like all the other cities we had visited.  Instead, I had to settle for more gluhwein, sigh...


Coburg Weihnachtsmarkt.  The buildings around the town square did not even look real.  Look how adorable they are.

A gluhwein stahl with huskies pulling Santa's sleigh?  Two gluhweins please!!!


We enjoyed our gluhweins by the fire.  It was warm and lovely.


The market was filled with locals enjoying gluhwein and snacks.  It was the best kind of Saturday.

The candy shop.  We left with gluhwein candies and candied nuts.  We have deemed the candied nuts our favorite treat at the markets, well besides the gluhwein!


I gave Ken my phone to take a selfie of us because you know, long arms, and this is what I ended up with.

Then there was this.  This was a moment when I told Ken he was ruining Christmas.


We left the market for a bit and stopped off at a local brewery.  While we were enjoying our beers, we met a German man that was in the brewery with his mom.  He was excited to discover that we were from the United States and wanted to practice his English with us.  He was so kind and we stayed at the brewery longer than we planned because we were enjoying speaking with him.  

After the brewery, we wandered back to the market for one final gluhwein.  

Enjoying white gluhwein at the Coburg market


We left the market and decided that we would take an earlier train to Nuernberg before making our way back to Munich.  The Nuernberg Christmas market is the most famous market in all of Germany.  We have never stopped there despite being in the area a few times.  We decided, why not?  We knew it would be busy and boy was it!


So excited about checking out the Nuernberg market!  Look at all of those people!  It was crazy busy.


The famous Nuernberg Christkindlmarkt.  Nuernberg has so much Nazi history that I hope I find myself here again some day.

We wandered around the river and found all kinds of cute areas.

We ended up stopping at a little bar with outside seating.  We enjoyed a few cocktails with some local guys that were in their 20's.  They were excited when they figured out we were American and told us how much they loved Americans.  They were super drunk, but a lot of fun and very nice.  

We left the bar and started our way back to the train station.  On the way, we found a gluhwein stahl that had the perfect Nuernberg mug.  We ordered a gluhwein to share so that we could keep the mug as a souvenir.  Our time in Nuernberg was short, but fun nonetheless.


The gluhwein mug that we were leaving with.  Ken said this mug cost him way more than 5 Euros.  I told him there is no price for my happiness.


I ended up finding a wooden Christmas tree with ornaments to bring home with me.  I love having these items around our house that remind me of our trips.


There were several adorable stahls in an area near the train station.  I would have loved to have spent more time here, but with our last minute decision to stop, I am glad we were able to see it.


We boarded the train back to Munich, so happy that we stopped in Nuernberg.  


It was obviously way past my bed time on the train.  

We ended the night with a drink at the Augustiner before calling it a night.  It was a great day around Germany.

No comments: