Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Christkindlmarkts 2019...Day 5: Munich and the Krampus Run

We woke up on Sunday and were quite lazy before getting our day started.  We slept in, went to breakfast, and then I went for a six mile run around the park.  I was so late in getting started that the market in English Garter Park was already open.

Running by the market in Englischer Garten Park.  I knew we would be back here shortly for a day of gluhwein drinking!


After my run we got ready and made our way to the park.  We were both a little hungry and we knew that the Chinesischer Turm Christkindlmarkt would have plenty of options for lunch.  


I chose kase spaetzle, obviously.  It was so unbelievably good.  This is definitely my favorite thing to eat in Germany.  Ken ended up with some type of sausage and he also got to eat half of my spaetzle.


Chinesischer Turm Weihnachtsmarkt


I really enjoy the market at the Rindermarkt by our hotel, but this is definitely my overall favorite market.  It has a very local feel to it and is very family friendly.


We enjoyed some chocolate covered strawberries from this stahl.  I think chocolate covered strawberries are one of the greatest things in the world.


Chinesischer Turm Weihnachtsmarkt


There was a small moment where I ended up losing Ken at the market.  It is not as easy to find a tall guy in Germany as one would think!


Happy Christkindlmarkt goers looking for brats and gluhwein!


We said farewell to our favorite market and started walking back to the Marienplatz.  

We were excited on this day because of the second running of the Krampuses that happens the weekend before Christmas!  We were fortunate enough to see the larger Krampus run a few years ago and were excited to lay our eyes on Krampus again.  We double checked our map and knew that we could be near our beloved Christmas Pyramid and see Krampus.


On our way to the Rindermarkt to find gluhwein and wait for Krampus.  Munich is such a beautiful city and even more so when there are Christmas lights everywhere.


The Rindermakt stahls are beautiful and a little off of the beaten path.


I have my gluhwein and I am ready for Krampus!


The Christmas Pyramid was looking quite festive.

There's Krampus!


Krampus!


 A Krampus selfie


When you are popular with Krampus.  I am not entirely sure what is going on here.


Dusk in the Rindermarkt

After the Krampus Run, we decided to walk around for a while before deciding on stopping for dinner at Paulaner.  We both enjoyed a little schnitzel, which was delicious.  


On our walk back to the Marienplatz, we noticed my favorite spaetzle stand.  It used to be right by our hotel, but it was on the other side of the Marienplatz this year.  Yes, I really it is sad that I know the location of all of my favorite stahls.  This place serves some amazing spaetzle!

The Marienplatz at night


We walked back to the Rindermarkt and stopped off at this stahl for some gluhwein.  They sell red, white, and rose.  The rose became my favorite this year!


My beloved Christmas Pyramid in the dark.  


We stopped at watched an amazing street performer while we enjoyed our gluhwein.


The Christkindlmarkts close promptly at 8:00 pm on Sunday nights.  We were not quite ready for bed, so we stopped off at the Asian restaurant by our hotel for dumplings and wine.  It was a full Sunday that we both enjoyed.

No comments: