Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Best of Nursing...Volume 4...

This was a pretty tough week.  I had my first code blue situation, which ended up resulting in the patient passing away the next day.  I had been part of code blues before, but this was the first time it had happened to one of my patients.  It was pretty tough to handle, especially since I had gotten to know him and his family.

Since I am all about trying to find the best in most things I would have to say the best part of the week was the wonderful compliment that I received from the patient's daughter that I had gotten to know.  She told me that she was so grateful that her dad had me as his nurse for his final days and that I was the best nurse she had ever met.  Given her grief and the horrible situation she was experiencing, I took this as the best compliment I could ever possibly receive.  I deal with many horrible people that sometimes make me question the human population, but people with this much kindness restore my faith in humanity.

That was the best moment of the week, despite the loss.

No comments: