Thursday, May 9, 2013

All Fun and Games Until Ken Starts to Sweat...

Ken is still trucking right along with his Couch to 5K training in preparation to hike Rim to Rim to Rim of the Grand Canyon in June.  He has been very consistent with his training, which has shocked me a little bit, just because he hates running.  I secretly hope that he will decide he likes running 2-3 miles a few days a week and might join me every now and then.  Of course, I will not hold my breath.

The big day for Ken was a few weeks ago when he was scheduled to run two full miles non-stop.  I am pretty sure he was intimidated, but he did not let that stop him.  I was gone, so I was unable to join him, but I did receive a very exciting text from him that he did it and was happy with his time.  I was so proud of him. 

I was hoping for the same performance from him on Monday night, when he was scheduled to run 2.25 miles and I was joining him for moral support.  

Not so much.

You see, Ken gets bored with things easily.  I am probably the only thing he has never gotten bored with and that is just because I am so funny.  :)  He would be a fool to get bored with someone that laughs at her own jokes.

We started out on the trail and he told me he just was not feeling it.  I always remind him that it takes everyone a little bit to settle in and get breathing under control.  I would like to say that the run was all rainbows and unicorns and that Ken ran the entire 2.25 miles like a Kenyan and that he loves running so much that he wants to sign up for a marathon, but that would make me a huge liar and I would instantly be struck by lightning.  I have way too much planned this year to let that happen.  Sorry, I have to get to NYC to see Matt Lauer before he leaves the Today Show.

Ken was panting and sweating.  He was complaining about the heat.  I checked the temperature when we got in the car and boy it was a scorcher.  It was 71 degrees you know.  I reminded him that I finished an Ironman in the 96 degree heat.  I am sure he did not want to open the car door and push me out onto Nall or anything after that sweet comment. 

I also noticed that he was sweating like crazy.  I did a quick mirror check of myself and noticed that I was not sweating at all, but should probably not draw any attention to that since the Ironman comment. 

We get out of the car and start walking into the house and he looks at me, sweat dripping down his brow, and asks me if I even broke a sweat.  I smile my cutest smile possible and say nope!  Poor Ken.

In the interest of full disclosure, we went to the the track last night to run sprints.  We both ran separately and did our own thing until Ken decided he wanted to run one with me.  He even told me if he could not keep my pace, he would fall back and for me to finish without him. 

Well, you will be shocked to hear that not only did he keep my pace, the bastard actually passed me in the end.  I kept pushing, but when you are only 4'10 tall and your husband is 6'5, there is little hope for your midget legs.  Job well done Ken.  Well done.

No comments: