Sunday, June 26, 2011

GC Trip, North to South Hike...

Here we are at around 2:45 am ready to take off!  The hike going back to the South Rim is 24 miles instead of 21.  We change over to the Bright Angel trail so that we can have access to water.

A view of the South Rim in the distance.  I believe this is between Cotton Wood and Phantom Ranch.

Just past Phantom Ranch and only 10 miles left to go!  Unfortunately, most of that 10 miles is up hill!

Silver Bridge

The Colorado River.  In the distance you can see a few boats.  I told Molly that Ken would love this view and that I had to get a picture for him.

My hiking buddy Molly.  She and I had a ton of fun hiking together!

About nine miles left to go!

A view of the trail from above.  If you enlarge it, you can see the trail


About three miles from the top.  When this picture is enlarged you can really see the trail.  People kept asking us where we came from that morning.  They all about died when we said the North Rim.  Molly and I had a heck of a pace going!  We did talk to several nice people along the way.

After my finish.  I must say, I look rather rough here!

Waiting on the others to come in.  We did see a guy slip on the trail and almost fall off.  It was horrible.  Luckily, someone grabbed his leg so he did not fall into the canyon.  We also saw a few really dumb people climb on rocks that with one false movement, and they would have been toast.  It is crazy that people want a silly picture so badly.

Here comes the rest of our group!  I have to say, I thought the North to South hike was much easier than the South to North hike even though it was longer.


We all showered and had dinner and drinks at El Tovar.  It was another wonderful evening spent with wonderful people.  Oh and next year, Ken is totally hiking both ways!

No comments: