Friday, April 30, 2010

Brace Yourself...

So guess who has braces for the second time?  Yeah, that would be me.  Guess what, they are twice as expensive as they were 15 years ago too. 

The first day I did not think they were that bad.  You know, they were new.  I was expecting to be sore Monday evening and planned it as a rest day from running.  They were not sore at all.  I thought that this is going to be a breeze.  Um, wrong.  Yeah, yesterday I got to work and decided it would just be easier not to talk at all.  This is extremely hard for me because I talk ALL of the time and I like to crack jokes to my boss all day, and my job requires a lot of human interaction.  I emailed my boss (who I can see from my office door) and told him I was not going to talk today because my mouth hurt too much.  He busted up laughing.  Tuesday was the quietest day in my office's history.

Since I have had braces before, I thought this would be a breeze.  I thought who needs the wax they give you for soreness?  I have run five marathons and had braces before, only wimps use the wax.  Yeah, guess who has wax caked on today?  My mouth looks I tried to eat a candle.  And when the wax runs out, I just might have to.

I have been popping advil like they are Skittles.  Skittles, I really wish I hadn't said that.  Now, I want some and cannot have any.  At least I can still eat M&M's or at least I will be able to in a few days after the PAIN wears off when I bite into something.

I do think the braces are an excellent diet plan.  You have to remove the wax to eat and I am just not willing to do that.  Plus, it hurts to chew and takes twice as long to eat.  I may have been living off of Nutrigrain bars and Starbucks Frappachinos over the last few days. 

My friend Scott walked up to me on Wednesday and was popping popcorn into his mouth smiling great big.  I almost tackled him.  I have a feeling this is going to be a long two years...

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

lol, i'm sorry, but your pain (writing) is humorous :) too funny about "eating candles". i hope you don't have to go to that point.

hope the pain wears off soon! surely it can't last that long?