Saturday, January 13, 2018

Christmas in Germany: The Krampus Run...

While we were planning this trip, Ken came across an article about the Krampus Run that takes place in Munich every year.  We knew this was something that we absolutely had to see, so we planned our trip around making sure we were in Munich on this day.

A little history about Krampus:  He was created as a counterpart to Saint Nicholas.  Saint Nicholas would reward children with sweets while Krampus would swat wicked children and take them away.  I guess I am a wicked child at heart since I got swatted and taken away multiple times.  :)

The costumes were so elaborate and cost thousands of dollars.  Some of the people in the costumes had neck braces on so that they could have neck support while wearing the masks.  Now that is commitment, my friends.

I mentioned in my Munich post that we saw all of the Krampuses before the actual run began.  It was so loud and very cool to watch a sea of Krampuses walk by!

Pre-Krampus Run Krampuses

Once the actual run started, we were not sure what to think.  Almost immediately I had one walk up to me, take my stocking cap off, and rustle my hair.  I no sooner got my stocking cap back on before it happened again.  This was basically then theme for the entire run including a lot of swatting and taking of Keri away.  It was pretty funny.  All of the people around us were laughing at how popular I was with Krampus.  I will let the pictures and videos do most of the talking.


A little Bavarian whipping



The start of the Krampus Run and we had no idea what to expect for the remainder!





From my point of view


From Ken's point of view


Putting my stocking cap back on for about the 10th time.  They loved to come up and take it off and mess up my hair.










Krampus taking me away

A Krampus family selfie

Negotiating with Krampus


Each group had a leader with a sign that stated what area they were from.  Each area has a different idea as to what Krampus would look like.





Krampus and me











A little Saint Nicholas sprinkled in for a pallet cleanse.


Watching with delight.






Ken had to pee at some point so he walked over to the Augustiner.  During this time I ended up getting whipped by Krampus so many times.  I even had two of them take my stocking cap and play keep away.  I have no idea why I was so popular other than the fact that I do not take things too seriously and am not afraid of laughing and having fun.  Maybe Krampus can tell that I am easy going?  Either that or the Krampus are perverts.  Either way, this was so much fun and I know it would never fly in the States.


Me and my gluhwein mouth squealing with one of the scariest of all of the Krampuses.  He was terrifying and sure to give you nightmares.


They were taking off with me.  I guess I would be one of the kids they take away.


Say bye-bye to Keri!




There was a game of keep away taking place in there with my stocking cap.


I made friends with this Krampus and even impressed him with my telling him I did not speak German in German.  He began speaking English to me and told me they were bowing down for the other Krampuses in front of them.



We had so much fun during the Krampus Run!  We laughed and laughed during the run and afterwards when we talked about it.  I never could imagine that it would be so much fun, but it sure was.  This was my favorite thing from our entire trip.  I wish there was a way I could attend every year, but that whole 9 hour flight thing kind of gets in the way.  I hope you enjoyed watching the videos and pictures!  I have a ton more and it was hard to choose what to post.  Thank you so much to Ken for finding this and of course for taking me to Munich!


No comments: