Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Christmas in Germany: Day 5...Munich...

We both woke up excited on Sunday!  We were going to spend the entire day in Munich.  In case it is not painfully clear, we LOVE Munich.  I ran and then we enjoyed breakfast at our hotel, complete with champagne.

We started our day walking to Englischer Garten Park,  We had visited the park on our last trip, complete with its biergarten, but this time the biergarten was turned into a Christmas Market!  The Chinesischer Turm Christkindlmarkt was such an amazing place.



Chinesischer Turm Christkindlmarkt


Shortly after arriving to the market, it began to snow.  Of course it did, right?  I seriously felt so special that all I had dreamed of was drinking gluhwein in the snow and here I was getting to do it for the third day in a row.


So very happy about the snow and the gluhwein, of course!


Enjoying my gluhwein like a boss

The market was even more festive with all of the snow falling

In the summer this area is full of chairs and tables for the biergarten


Ken enjoying his gluwein and the snow

This market was full of a lot of locals and had a ton of food choices.  I would definitely say that the food options outnumbered the other stalls at this market.  It smelled amazing.

I did order a crepe to enjoy while I chugged my gluhwein.  It was absolutely delicious.


On his way for a refill

A full cup of gluhwein and ready to shop!


Lots of different options at the Christmas Market!


St. Nicholas even arrived!  Which is a really good thing since we saw Krampus later.



A summary of our time at the Chinesischer Turm Chriskindlmarkt


Isn't the market beautiful?


Enjoying the Chinesischer Turm Christkindlmarkt!


We walked around, shopped, drank gluhwein and called it a day at the market.  It was snowing pretty hard and we had about a mile and a half walk back to our hotel.  I am not going to lie, this was the one time of the trip that I actually got cold.  

I might be smiling on the outside, but in reality I was freezing.  I was so cold that I stopped talking.  You all know that never happens.


We went back to our hotel and warmed up a bit.  I changed out my scarf and hat and we walked over to the Dallmayr for a little shopping.  One of my favorite things from our last trip was getting lunch at the Dallmayr and taking it to the park for a picnic.  Alas, it was clearly not the day for a picnic!

After we got our goodies we stumbled upon many Krampuses getting ready for the Krampus Run.  It was pretty entertaining watching them walk by and quite loud.


Getting ready for the Krampus Run


Watching them go by really did not give me any indication how they would behave during the actual run.  We were pretty excited to have gotten to see them before the official run. The Krampus Run was probably the most interesting and fun thing we did on this trip.


We dropped off our Dallmayr goodies at the hotel and went to get ready for the Krampus Run.  The Krampus Run was so unique that I feel that it deserves its very own post.  


A little pre-performance before the Krampus Run


One of the department stores by our hotel.  I thought it was so beautiful.  

One of my favorite areas by our hotel.

Ken was armed with gluhwein and ready for Krampus!


Krampus

I look terrified!



A sneak peek of the Krampus Run.  Apparently I was very naughty since Krampus took me away.

The Krampus Run was unlike anything we had ever experienced before.  It was so much fun!  We laughed and laughed.  Afterwards, we went into the Augustiner for some drinks ad then to the Residenz for the Christmas Market.

Inside the Residenz Market

I absolutely love the Christmas Pyramid

Cheers!

We grabbed some dinner at the market.  Ken had some sort of sausage and I had a pizza thing.  Both items were delicious!  

Workers serving up gluhwein

The blue and green lights added to the ambiance of the market


Having such a fun time at the Residenz Chriskindlmarkt

As we were leaving the market, All I want for Christmas is you came on overhead.  Obviously I started singing and dancing.  Ken was so proud.

We walked back to old town and decided that we should stop of at the Hofbrauhaus to finish off the day.  I have to admit, this place is a lot less busy on a Sunday night in December.  

The biggest smile out of this guy all day.


Enjoying my white wine

Ken's model pose



The Hofbrauhaus

Clearly we have been drinking all day when pictures like this get taken.


We left Hofbrauhaus and walked back to our hotel through the Marienplatz.  The market stalls were closed, but the Christmas cheer was still abundant.  

Me in the Marienplatz

We got back to our hotel and talked and talked about our day.  We had so much fun.  I cannot even put into words how amazing of a day we had.  I did not want the day to end, that is how wonderful it was.  I will never forget this day in Munich and I will always smile thinking about Munich at Christmas time.  

No comments: