Friday, December 13, 2013

The Big Apple: Day 2...

Saturday morning we woke up and headed out.  We had a big day planned and started out with a little coffee and walking.

Our first stop was Times Square.  It looks a little different in the day light.

Ann, Michelle, and Jill.  What are you looking at Michelle?

We stopped in the Times Square visitor center where you can write on the confetti that is realized on New Years'.  I may have written the old school "Keri loves Ken."

Jill and Michelle writing on confetti

The wall of hopes and dreams

Me in front of the New Years' Eve ball that drops

The ball was very pretty, and kept changing colors.  Hopefully, I can stay awake until midnight to see it drop this year.

After Times Square, we walked a few blocks to get to Grand Central Station.  On the way, we took in the skyline around us.  

There is the Empire State Building again.

Back inside Grand Central Station

We had lunch inside Grand Central Station.  Apparently it is common for people to polish off a bottle of Jack and then dig through the garbage for lunch.  Just another day in the life.  I was so excited to see that the Magnolia Bakery was inside Grand Central.  I may have bought two brownies there, and two more at another bakery.  It was a four brownie kind of day, after all.  

Michelle and me, one brownie in

After lunch at Grand Central, we walked our way to the Flat Iron district to see the Flat Iron Building.  For those of you who do not know, I have a picture of the Flat Iron Building in my bathroom, and I could not wait to see it in person.

There she is!

Such an interesting building

If you turn around and look the other way, you see the Empire State Building.

That Empire State Building is everywhere!  It was such a clear, beautiful day.

Michelle and Jill

Michelle and me

After visiting the Flat Iron Building, we started making our way down to the 9/11 Memorial.  Little did Michelle know, we would be walking the entire way.  Basically, Ann and I are like drill sargents.  

. We passed through China Town on our way.

The complaining about the never ending walk, may have started in China Town.

On our way, we stopped at the Brooklyn Bridge.  Ann and I both wanted to walk across it, but we were both also afraid of seeing Red Michelle.  For those of you that are not familiar, Red Michelle is kind of like Red Ross from Friends, only shorter (and scarier). 

Michelle, Ann, and Jill.  I am not posting the picture of Michelle flipping me the bird.

I asked Michelle to take our picture, and she must have missed the part about me wanting it with the bridge in the back.  :)

Ann, me, and Jill with the Brooklyn Bridge

One more shot of the bridge

After seeing the bridge, we waited in the longest bathroom line ever at Starbucks.  Yeah, it took forever.

 Then we made our walk toward the 9/11 Memorial and was greeted with views of the Freedom Tower.

When Ken and I were in New York in 2011, it was not fully completed.  They had come a long way in two years!

Waiting in line for security, we may have busted out a brownie.

Below are several pictures from the 9/11 Memorial








After visiting in the memorial, we made our way back to the apartment and had a little wine before heading to dinner.

She was claiming to be an Angel, but I am not so sure about that.


After wine, it was time to hail a taxi, and I was totally on the job.

I am pretty sure this is how everyone in NYC hails a taxi.

Right after this picture was snapped, a business man (or possibly a pimp or even a serial killer) stopped and said that he wished he was not on his way to a meeting or he would take us anywhere we wanted to go.  I am sure you would sir.  Probably straight to your basement.  In his defense, he was in a luxury car and not a rapist van.  Anyway...

We got a taxi (by the way, I love yelling, "Taxi!") and went to dinner.

Michelle and Ann

Me with Jill

After dinner, I asked everyone to show me how they get a taxi.

Michelle and her version of "hail a taxi"

Jill, doing her best to get a taxi

Ann, getting a taxi, and stopping traffic

Another one of my taxi poses

After getting a taxi, we made our way to Rockefeller Center to see the tree.  As we were dropped off, we saw the light show that is put on outside of Saks 5th Ave.

The show and window displays, were complete with the Abominable Snowman, which I happen to love.

There's the tree!

Ann, Michelle, and Jill

Michelle, me, and Jill

Clearly, I should have clarified to the man taking our picture that I wanted a picture of us with the tree in the background.  

One more shot of the tree before we go

Shameless selfie at Rockefeller Center

We stopped for a souvenir and this happened...

We finished our night by seeing the Empire State Building all lit up.

No comments: