Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chicago Marathon: After the Race...

After a quick shower, Michelle and I were ready to hit the down.  

We had decided to go on an architectural tour, which I had done before but enjoyed it so much that I wanted to do it again.

We made our way down to Navy Pier.  I was shocked to learn that Michelle had never been to the pier before.  Please keep in mind, this is the same girl that is afraid of escalators.

It was still a beautiful day out.

I really do like the Chicago skyline.

Happy girls on the pier

This is one of my favorite pictures from the trip.

We hopped on the boat and I befriended the lady next to us.  She was shocked to hear that I ran the marathon and was out and about.  She said her son and daughter in law ran it and were in bed napping.  I did not want to tell her that you know, I am an Ironman, ha, ha.  I am only kidding.  I told her that I was in Chicago with a bestie, I can sleep at home.

The boat tour did not disappoint.  Here are several of my favorite photos.

The Wrigley Building and the Tribune Building are my two favorite buildings.

I am like the corn cob buildings for some reason.

A different view of the Wrigley Building

After the tour, we made our way to my favorite restaurant in Chicago, Rosebud on Rush.  Ken and I stumbled upon this place a few years ago, and now I go there anytime the opportunity is there.

I had an embarrassing amount of pasta, but it was so yummy!  Michelle liked her food too.

We decided to skip dessert and go get cupcakes from Spinkles instead.  All of this and a pumpkin cheesecake in the fridge at the apartment.

Operation Sugar is about to commence.

I would call this a very happy face.

So, a word about Sprinkles.  Not impressed at all.  My cupcakes at home taste better.  Let's just say that it was no Gigi's.

I did not like it at all and this happened:

Half of a red velvet cupcake is going into the trash.  I disliked it so much, that I did not finish it.  Ken is reading this and gasping.  This never happens.

We watched a little of the baseball game and went to bed.  It was definitely a full day.

We woke up on Monday, had a little coffee and walked around a bit.  We decided we had just enough time to stop at Lou Malnati's for one more round of pizza before going back to Kansas.

Does this girl look happy or what?

Because I did not eat enough yesterday, sure, I will have more pizza.

After all of the yumminess, it was time to go to Midway.  We made zero transportation errors until hopping on the last train.  Yep, we ended up getting on the train going to Harlem.  


A very nice man pointed out that clearly we were going the wrong way and helped us get back on track. 

I will end the post with this picture: 

This is my new friend John.  He was so close to me while I was sitting at the airport waiting for our flight, that I could hear his entire conversation he was having on his cell phone.  Not just him talking, but the person on the other end.  It was not awkward at all with John practically in my lap.  Not at all.

It was a fun trip!  Thanks for going with me Michelle.  A special thanks to Ken for taking care of Kya and the cats while I was away!

Until next time, Chicago!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Looks like a fun time :)

I 2nd the disappointment of a Sprinkles cupcake. I too was not impressed when I tried one. Gigi's they are not.