Sunday, August 25, 2013

One Year Ago...

I cannot believe it has been one year since Ironman Lousiville

One year.



So much about it feels like it was just yesterday, but yet at times, it feels like the entire thing was just a dream. 

I learned so much during the nine months of training and during the actual race itself.  I learned that I am far more stubborn than I ever thought I was.  My mom and Ken have always talked about my stubbornness, but now I fully know where they are coming from. 

I learned that so many people make excuses for any and everything that they think they cannot do.  If you really want to do something, you can find a way.  Trust me.  Why do you think I decided to finally go back to school?  Good old Ironman training made me realize that I have no excuse not to.  Thank you Ironman Louisville.  :)

I learned that it is okay to be scared to do something.  I was scared to death to train for something that I was unfamiliar with.  At the end of the day, I did not always want to wish I had done something.  It was up to me to make it happen.

I was terrified of swimming in the open water.  After a little bit of research, I realized that most of the people out there felt the same way as I did at one time or another.  I also knew I would never get over the fear if I did not make myself do it.  I am just glad I did not drown.  :)

There are a few things about August 26, 2012 that I will never forget.

I will never forget the way I felt when Ken hugged me and told me goodbye at the swim start.  I had tears in my eyes and started to cry.  I was absolutely terrified.



I will never forget the moment that I realized I was approaching the finish of the swim.  I was literally smiling under water and was so thrilled that I did not drown.  I came out of the water with the biggest smile ever.



I will never forget the lowest moment of the day when I had to give myself a pep talk on the bike around mile 45.  I had come so far but still had so far to go.

I will never forget coming up the hill into downtown La Grange, about 20 miles after my pitty party, and seeing a handsome, tall, blonde man waving his heart out and realizing that it was MY husband.  My husband that skipped going on an urban bourbon tour so that he could see me one more time on the bike.  That moment, completely made my day and made me cry.

I will never forget turning the corner and heading into 4th Street Live and hearing those wonderful words:  You are an Ironman!  I smiled the entire way there and it was worth every moment.



I will never forget the moment that I was reunited with Ken.  The moment where he picked me up and told me how proud he was of me and that it was the most amazing thing he had ever seen.  That moment was the best moment of my entire life.



I will never forget reading all of the texts, emails, and Facebook messages from all of my friends.  I have never felt so much love in my life.

There is one other thing that I will never forget.  The moment when Ken asked me if I wanted to walk or take the shuttle back to the car, which was less than a half mile away.  I told him that I really thought the walk would do me well and that we should walk.  He kept asking me if I was sure I could make the walk.  Finally, I asked him why he did not walk me to walk.  His response was that he was chaffed.  Chaffed from spectating.  I had completed an Ironman and my husband was chaffed while spectating.  In his defense it was 96 degrees out most of the day.

One thing you must know is he will never, ever live that one down.  

No comments: