Wednesday, June 15, 2011

GC: The Hike - South Rim to the North Rim...

Ahh...the day we had all begin waiting for!  We woke up at 2:00 am to get ready. I found myself preparing as though I was running a marathon.  All of my clothes were laid out and I was body gliding myself up!  We had our Rim Wranglers transporting our belongings, so we packed what we needed for the day and left our bags in the trailer that Steve and Denise would drive to the North Rim.  Bless Steve and Denise's hearts, they were up so early to drive us to the trail head.  Their kindness did not go unnoticed!

Packed and ready to go!  Pretty cute for 2:30 am!

In the hotel lobby, heading out.  I love how you can see the reflective strips on running clothes!

Me with two of my favorite girls, Abby and Katie

Yes, I have had my coffee and I am way too happy for 2:30 am!


All of the South to North hikers at the trail head

All of the dust that gets kicked up on the trail.  It totally looks like snow.

Our first stop.  We had already been hiking for an hour and yep, it is still dark!

Ken showing that he is proud to be an American

Our group

Our second stop where we learned that an engagement had taken place moments before!

Jean and Patrick got engaged on the hike.  Jean organizes the trip every year and hiking is her passion.  Patrick totally surprised her!  She had a bright smile the entire trip.  Congratulations Jean and Patrick! 



My handsome husband making his way down the trail
Our first look at the Colorado River, simply amazing

Nothing beats using the self timer while you are hiking!

Heading down to cross the Colorado River




Ken and I separated after Phantom Ranch, which was just before mile seven.  I have very few pictures from this point.  I was just wanting to get finished.  I did enjoy listening to my Ipod and singing and dancing down the trail with my new friends AJ and Jocelyn!



It is amazing to look back and realize how far you hiked!

Me finishing with AJ and Jocelyn.  Bless my heart, I look really rough!  It was HOT!

Ken and Abby at the finish.  Ken was so sweet, he knew Abby was struggling and he waited on her at a water stop to make sure that she made it out okay.  I was so proud of him for finishing with a big smile on his face!

The most fun of the entire day was hanging out at the end waiting for our group to finish.  We were hooting and hollering at everyone that came up the trail. The best part was hearing people come up and asking if we were the Kansas City folks.  Our group was talkative and friendly to everyone on the trail. 

The hike from South to North was 21 miles.  You hike down the South rim, across the canyon and up the North rim.  It was so much fun!  It was the furthest I have every gone without running.  We had an amazing group of people out on the trail.  The funniest thing that I saw were two girls that were wearing jeans and had hiked down about three or four miles from the North rim.  One of them had her shirt tucked up in her bra.  Jocelyn and I both about died laughing!  She looked more like she should be dancing on a pole than hiking in the GC.  You have to dress the part you know!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

soo cool! i am adding this to my to do list :)

Anonymous said...

I'm reading about your awesome IM training but I had to check out the GC photos (imagine that!). I am so glad you guys are part of the GC Family! You are going to rock the IM!!!
Jean