Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Wine Country Birthday...

Back in November, Ken took me on a birthday getaway to Healdsburg, CA.  He wanted to surprise me for my birthday and treat me for all the extra work I had been doing at the hospital.  It was such a pleasant surprise and I was so happy to make all of the arrangements.

I worked the two days prior to leaving and my hospital family spoiled me for my birthday.


The staff on my unit made me a sign and ordered specialty cupcakes for me the day prior to my birthday.  They were all so incredibly sweet to me!


We had an early flight to Oakland on my birthday.  We grabbed our rental car and drove to Petaluma for lunch.  We enjoyed lunch outside along the river at an Italian restaurant, which we tried in July 2020.  I think to date it is the best Italian food we have had in the USA.  

Our next stop was Iron Horse!  We cannot be so close to my favorite vineyard without stopping for a tasting.  Ken tried the still wine this time and I stuck with my beloved sparkling.


A tasting at my favorite vineyard, Iron Horse.


Happy Birthday to me!!!


We checked into our Airbnb in downtown Healdsburg and changed clothes to head out for drinks.  We ended up at Campo Fina for drinks and appetizers.  The next day we learned that this place is very difficult to get into and one of the favorites around Healdsburg.  Who knew?  

After drinks, we went to Willi's for wine and dinner and of course a piece of chocolate cake for my birthday dessert.  We called it an early night since we were pretty tired from our morning traveling.  

We started the next day with a run on the greenway trail around Healdsburg.  Afterward, we stopped at a cute French bistro for brunch.  We had a tasting set up at a winery in the Dry Creek area, so we got ready and started the beautiful drive.  We ended up driving up to Lake Sonoma which came with beautiful views.


Lake Sonoma


We wished we would have had time to hike!



After Lake Sonoma, we went to Dutcher Crossing for our wine tasting.  We sat outside and had beautiful views of the vineyard.  I think the vines turning Fall colors might be my favorite way to see the vines.  We enjoyed our tasting and even witnessed an engagement.  


Vineyard views at Dutcher Crossing


It was a beautiful, blue-sky day



Enjoying the beautiful day and the delicious wine!



Ken enjoying his tasting at Dutcher Crossing


The scenery was beautiful


Dutcher Crossing had several delicious reds and of course, we had to leave with a wine membership.


We ended the evening at a brewery in Windsor for dinner and drinks.  We had plans to go out for drinks around downtown Healdsburg afterward, but we were both tired and called it an early night.  I have to say, I have never had so much sleep on a quick trip like I did on this one!

We had a nice walk for coffee the next morning and flew home to see our girls.  Thank you Ken for the birthday getaway and spoiling me!

No comments: