Thursday, December 23, 2021

Chicago Marathon 2021

Back in October, I was fortunate enough to run the Chicago Marathon.  It felt so nice to be able to do something "normal" again!  Michelle and I flew to Chicago for a little girls' weekend.  

We stayed at the Embassy Suites across from one of our favorite places, Pops!  Friday night we spent the evening enjoying some sparkling rose!

 

Sparkling rose for the win at Pops!


The next day we did a little shopping and went to Bucktown for dinner.  On our way to the restaurant, we stopped at a local bar called Lottie's Pub.  We had to stop here since I have my own Lotti.  A funny side note, one of the residents that rotated in my unit told me her dog's name is Lottie after a bar in Chicago.  I told her that I knew exactly what bar she was talking about and showed her the picture below.  She could not believe that I had been there!  What a small world!



Camp Lottie at Lottie's Pub.  They go all out for Halloween.

Saturday night was pretty low key with me having an early wake-up call in the morning.  Ken sent me the photo below of some virtual cheering that he completed.  These would be displayed on the course and he wanted to make sure I saw mine!

Cheers from my biggest fans.  This was the sweetest thing ever.


I woke up early on Sunday and got ready and walked to the start line.  I called and talked to Ken on my way.  I told him it was quite warm and I planned to take it easy with the heat.  


It was a beautiful and warm morning for a marathon.


Lined up at the start line.  It felt so nice to be running Chicago again!


Boys Town is my absolute favorite!  I love the energy from the spectators.


The race was quite warm.  I maintained a 9:10 pace until the half and backed off during the second half.  I definitely did not train for speed this training session.


Marathon #13 finished in 4:24:12


Michelle met me at the finish line and we walked back to our hotel.  I showered and we headed out to one of our favorite places, the Purple Pig for a late lunch and wine.  


Halloween decorations at the Purple Pig


After overindulging ourselves, we walked to the Riverwalk to find a spot for a drink.  It was so beautiful out, that we found ourselves at City Winery.  We sat outside along the river and enjoyed a bottle of wine.  It was quite lovely.


Our view from City Winery


City views from the Riverwalk


Michelle was having a great time


I loved being back in Chicago


We decided to treat ourselves to brownie sundaes from Ghirardelli.  It has been so long since I have had an ice cream sundae.  It did not disappoint.


Absolutely delicious


We ended the night with the same view I started the morning with.  I love the Chicago skyline along the river.



It was a great weekend away!  I am excited to get to run the Chicago Marathon again in 2022!

No comments: