Thursday, January 10, 2019

Christmas Markets 2018: Day 4...Munich

Friday started with our usual breakfast at the hotel and my normal run around Munich.  I really love running around and checking out the different areas.  I usually find a restaurant or Christmas market for us to check out.

Ken was feeling a little tired, so he decided to rest for a bit while I went out to explore.  I had big plans to find a store to buy some candy to take home!

I walked around the Marienplatz and over to the Vktualienmarkt.

I think the main market in the Marienplatz is so beautiful, that I find it impossible to not take a picture whenever I walk through it.


One of the best gluhwein stands in the Marienplatz

After I returned to our hotel room, Ken and I headed out for the day.  Our main plan was to check out all of the local markets.  Our first stop was the Medival Market.

We had tried to visit this market during the evening two other times and it was so unbelievable packed that we never got to enjoy it.

The Medival Market gluhwein mugs.  Some drinks are served in clay goblets, which were really cute.

The market had stahls with a lot of food options and unique gift items

The market really did have a Medival vibe.  We bought some candied nuts to have as a snack for the day.  

After we left the Medival Market, we made our way to the Residenz Market, which we visited last year.  We were excited about seeing it during the daytime since we visited it during the night last year.

The Christmas Pyramid never disappoints!

I tried a rose gluhwein at this market and found it to be delicious!


After the Residenz, we went by our hotel to drop off our goodies and to start walking towards Tollwood, which is a Winter festival located on the Oktoberfest grounds.  On our way, we stopped by an Augustiner for a little lunch.  We both enjoyed a little schnitzel, because when in Germany!

We arrived to Tollwood, which is a giant festival with tents with indoor shopping and bars.  We decided to stop into one of the bar tents that had living music playing.

Live music at one of the bars.  I enjoyed an Aperol Spritz here, which was a great change from all the gluhwein.

Tollwood grounds.  I cannot even imagine how packed and busy this would be for Oktoberfest!

Tollwood grounds

Having fun at the Tollwood Winter Festival


We had one small issue here where the bartender did not give us tokens to return with our drink glasses to get our deposit back.  We knew nothing of the tokens until it was time to turn our glasses in for a refund.  It was pretty annoying, but there was nothing we could do about it.  That is 4 euro that we will never see again.

Inside one of the science tents.  The science tent had a lot of different experiments.


Tollwood after dark

We enjoyed checking out Tollwood, but we would most likely not go back again as we felt that we saw everything we wanted to see.


We left Tollwood and headed to Englischer Garten Park for our favorite market in the park. 


Chinesischer Turm Christkindlmarkt


I love the atmosphere at this market

I found and bought my most desired item of the trip at this market:  My very own Christmas Pyramid!  I was so excited to get one to bring home.  Obviously, mine is much smaller than the ones in the middle of the Christkindltmarkts.  

I enjoyed an apfel crepe at this market along with a lot of gluhwein.

Speaking of gluhwein, Ken had a little mishap when he ordered our gluhwein.  We were still on high alert after the token incident at Tollwood.  Well, since we visited this market last year, we knew that we would get tokens with our gluhwein mugs for our deposit.  After Ken ordered and paid, I asked him if he got our tokens.  He said no and walked back up to the gluhwein stahl and put his hand in what he thought was the token jar only for it to be the tip jar.  The lady selling the gluhwein looked at him like he was crazy and Ken immediately realized what he was doing.  He felt awful.  Meanwhile, I was about to pee my pants from laughing.  It turns out, there was no deposit or tokens needed this year.  Ken made me purchase all of the gluhwein for the remainder of the evening.

We spent the rest of our time at the market watching people play this shuffle board/curling game.  It was really fun to watch.

I love the Chinesischer Turm market!


We closed the market down and walked back toward our hotel.  We stopped off at Augustiner for a little goulash and drinks.  We had a great full day in Munich!

This happened walking back to our hotel.  I wish I could explain it, but I cannot!



Up next, Bamberg!!!!

No comments: