Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Portland: Day 3...The Marathon

I woke up around 5:00 am to get ready for the day.  Katy and I hopped in the car and she dropped me off at the start of the race.  We lined up, listened to the National Anthem and were off.  There was a little bit of drama surrounding the Portland Marathon this year and the course.  The marathon organizers almost did not get the permit and the course had to be completely redone with an out and back course as the only option.

Race ready!


Before I started I got a good luck text from Ken with this picture.  My sweet girl was doing one of her favorite things without me:  Starbucks and a walk!


We started off running around downtown and I quickly realized that there was going to be a lot of entertainment on the route.  I really enjoyed the bands and people all along the course.  I had really been looking forward to crossing the suspension bridge.  The hill to get up to the bridge was pretty brutal.

I did not have any real goals for this race, with my longest run being 17 miles on the treadmill.  I am not sure I had run up a hill as steep as the hill to get to the bridge since I ran the San Francisco marathon in 2009.

Running across the St. Johns suspension bridge


The view from the bridge

The most entertaining entertainment that I saw on the course was a group of older ladies that were doing a belly dancing routine.  And, thanks to the out and back course, I got to see them twice!

These ladies were a hoot!

It drizzled on us from my 13 until about mile 20.  It was not pouring, just a drizzle that you would expect in the PNW.  I crossed over the St. Johns bridge again and was excited to be finished with the hills and getting closer to the finish.

Crossing the St. Johns suspension bridge and on the home stretch!


At mile 23 I noticed a sign that said, "Go Keri, Go!" and I thought wow, someone else spells their name like me.  It was then that I realized that it was Katy holding up the sign!  I waved a big hello and got just the boost I needed to make my way another 3 miles.

I came around into the finish at 4:12:56, and felt pretty well.

Marathon #12 in the books complete with a rose from the city of roses.


We drove back to the hotel for me to shower so we could head to wine country for wine tasting.  We headed out to the Willamette Valley and on the way we saw a sign for Alloro Vineyards and decided to stop.  We ended up making a great choice because this place was beautiful!

The grounds at Alloro Vineyards

A selfie in the vineyards

We had beautiful views all around!

Enjoying wine and sunshine

Such a fun girls day

The Willamette Valley is know for Pinot Noirs, but Katie and I did not really care for any that we tasted.  We ended up loving the riesling at this winery because it was a dry one.  It was amazing and we both brought a bottle home to enjoy later with the boys.

All smiles at Alloro Vineyard!


We ended the night at a German restaurant near our hotel where I ate my weight in apple strudel.  I guess marathon running does have its advantages!


No comments: