Saturday, June 25, 2016

Europe 2016: Day 8...Salzburg...

We woke up Friday morning to no rain and I was super excited!  I was finally going to get to go for a run in Munich.  It was a nice little run that was completely flat, but it was quite humid.  I did have some construction workers hit on me, which was pretty fun.  They were speaking German, but certain things are universal in any language.  I responded with Prost!  I am sure they thought I was a nut.

Anyway, we were up and at it to make our way to Salzburg.  It was about an hour and forty minute train ride to get to Salzburg.  We were pretty excited about Salzburg because we had heard it was a beautiful city and we had some great day trips planned from there.

Train riding on the way to Salzburg

We passed many cute villages that always had a darling little church


We arrived to Salzburg and dropped our bags off at our hotel.  We set out to get some food and to hit up the Augustiner Brau Biergarten,  Little did we know, the biergarten does not open until 3:00 pm.  You better believe we were waiting in line with the locals as those gates opened!

We ended up loving this place!  They had really good beer and we really liked the laid back atmosphere.  

Augustiner Brau in Salzburg

To get beer, you select a mug, pay for your beer, keep your ticket, wash your stein, give the ticket to the keg master, and you are good to go!  We were not entirely sure of the process so we watched others to make sure we were doing it correctly.

Waiting in line with my stein and ticket

Ken washing his stein

Fill her up please!  I know it looks like the guy is peeing, but I can assure you he is not.  That was beer in that stein!

This guy looks quite happy to be in Salzburg!

We sat outside drinking our beer, people watching, and enjoying some pretzels.  It started raining, so we went inside to enjoy the beer hall from the indoors.  The entire building was beautiful as it used to be a monastery.  

Some of the many food vendors set up for delicious treats

Another view of the food vendors

Part of the indoor seating area.  I loved the wooden chairs!

I am not a big beer drinker at home, but I love me some German style beer!

This was one of Ken's favorite places of our whole trip

We got a kick out of watching the table of older men behind us.  They were having a good old time!

We really did not want to leave the biergarten!


We let the rain pass and walked back to our hotel.  We checked into our room and made our way to old town Salzburg.

Walking along the Salzach River

Old town Salzburg

We crossed the bridge and went to Old Town.  It was pretty packed with people.  We decided to cross back over the bridge and find a place for dinner that was off the beaten path.

The darling streets of Salzburg

Where we ate dinner.  I am not going to lie, I chose it because there was a fox on the sign.  It ended up being one of my favorite meals in Austria.  You can never go wrong with schnitzel with cranberry sauce!

We enjoyed our food and Ken said he wanted apple strudel.  I offered to share with him, but he said that he wanted his own.  Well, that was a surprise since he hardly ever has a sweet tooth.  He also ate his much faster than I ate mine.  If you know us very well, you know that never happens.  I always finish any dessert before Ken and I barely speak a word while I eat it.  Priorities.  

Patiently waiting for my apple strudel

This was the best apple strudel I have ever had.  It was a good thing we got two and did not share, otherwise there may have been a fist fight at the table.  It was amazing apple strudel.  Alter Fuchs did well!

We wandered around for a bit and made our way back to our hotel through Mirabell Gardens.  For all of you Sound of Music fans, you will recognize it.  

Mirabell Gardens

Mirabell Gardens.  I am not going to lie, I did sing Do, Rae, Mi while we were there.  Although, Ken had no clue what I was talking about because he has never watched the SOM.  

Enjoying our first day in Salzburg!


Up next, a day trip to St. Gilgen!

No comments: