Thursday, December 9, 2021

Europe 2021...Day 10: Venice

 I woke up rather refreshed!  I guess 12 hours of sleep will do that.  I decided to go for a run and guess what?  I got lost.  So lost.


I ended up at the Rialto Bridge, which should have been the first clue that I was headed in the wrong direction.  


The Grand Canal


Venice is definitely one of the most beautiful and confusing places I have ever run.  You think you are coming up on a dead-end, but instead, you make a sharp left turn and see a darling place like this.


I ran into the Grand Canal again, which should have been my second clue that I was going in the wrong direction.


Next thing you know, I saw signs for St. Mark's Square, which I know is about 15 to 20 minutes from our hotel.  I was all the way across Venice!  


We tried to find St. Mark's Square our first day and got turned around.  Of course, I would get lost on a run and find it on my own.


Google Maps only kind of works around Venice, but I finally found my way after running past a Christopher Columbus pub about three times.  There was a moment when I thought I was deemed to live above the pub!  


So much unique beauty around Venice.


I finally found the area that looked more familiar and then finally found my way back to our hotel.  We got ready for the day and headed out for Aperol Spritz and bellinis!


We had a canvas made of this photo to display in our house.  It is very much how I imagined Venice to look.


We somehow were able to find our way to St. Mark's Square for a look around.  I have to say, St. Mark's Cathedral is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen.


St. Mark's Square.  I cannot imagine how packed this area is when Venice has cruise ships docking.


I really enjoyed my time in Venice.  You would never know that I was overserved the day prior!


I am so happy I convinced him to take me to Venice.


Such a beautiful part of Venice


The Bridge of Sighs


There is something so special about the gondolas around the Grand Canal


Venice in black and white makes it look very mysterious


If you visit our house, you may recognize some of these shots scattered around our walls.


Some of these photos are difficult to choose if they look better in color or in black and white.


I imagine it is impossible to get a photo in Venice with no tourists when Covid is not happening.



The Grand Canal is so massive


We stopped at multiple places for Aperol Spritz and gelato.  We really had no agenda.  We did end up walking all over Venice and ended up finding the area where the locals live.  I am certain we were the only tourists.

The area of Venice that most people never see.  


This was one of my favorite pictures that Ken snapped.  The colors are so beautiful.


There may have been a moment where we were completely lost and wondered if we were going to have to swim across the Grand Canal to get back to our hotel.  Finally, we found a running path, that led us to a bridge and back to the train station.  

Our hotel recommended a restaurant along a canal with beautiful views of the sunset.  It was such a great place to wrap up our time in Venice.


Our dinner view


We had wine, pasta, and views.  It was perfect.  We also met a couple from New Zealand that was thrilled to see Americans traveling abroad again.


Final Aperol Spritz in Italy!


We wrapped up our night with gelato.  We had such a great time in Venice.  I am so happy that we rearranged our trip and made this a stop.  

No comments: