Saturday, January 20, 2018

Christmas in Germany: Day 7...Munich...

Tuesday was our last full day in Munich.  I am not going to lie, I was pretty sad that our trip was winding down, but we were determined to make the best of our last day in our favorite city.

The day started with a run and I decided to run to Englischer Garten Park to enjoy the scenery.  On my way I stopped for a few pictures.

Englischer Garten Park


Hofgarten, just outside of Englischer Garten Park


After breakfast we kind of dilly dallied around the hotel before heading out for the day.  We decided to walk over to the Viktualienmarkt to do a little shopping.  We loved this area of Munich on our trip in 2016 and did not want to miss out on a quick visit.

 Viktualienmarkt with the May pole and shoppers bundled up.


 Viktualienmarkt


Such a fun little market complete with all kinds of food items

We bought some sweet peppers that were filled with cream cheese.  We had tried these in Vienna last year and loved them.  I have since recreated them at home.  They are delicious!  We also stopped for lunch at the Fisch Witte market.  They had heaters and seats set up outside.  We stopped and enjoyed a wonderful fish pasta lunch.  

After lunch we wandered around Munich a bit.  We really did not do a whole lot on this day besides take in the atmosphere of the city, which was the perfect way to spend our last day.

Munich Christmas Market stalls in the Marienplatz

One of my favorite pictures from the market

We wandered over to the stalls that we loved so much from our first night of the trip.  I really wanted to try a Krampus drink since I had tried the Saint Nicholas on our first night.  


Specialty drinks at one of the market stalls.  I liked the Nikolaus better than the Krampus.


The Christmas pyramid looked beautiful during this time of day


Enjoying my Krampus


Taking in all of the Chritmas magic

We wandered back through the Marienplatz and stopped off for some candied pecans.  The candied pecans might be my favorite treat of the entire market.  They smell amazing and taste even better.

The beautiful Marienplatz

I really liked the stalls with all of the twinkle lights


After visiting the market, we decided to stop off at Augustiner for a drink and some goulash.  

This was no doubt Ken's favorite stop of the day.  He loves some Augustiner dunkel!


We debated about what to do with the rest of our evening and decided that we would walk back to Englischer Garten Park to enjoy the market atmosphere in the evening.  

The market looked beautiful at night

One of the many market stalls

Everyone was in a very festive mood

We enjoyed a lot of gluhwein and closed down the market.  We walked back towards our hotel and stopped off at Augustiner to get one last beer and a little apple strudel.  

This apple strudel was divine.  I tried to share it with Ken, but he insisted I have it all to myself.  


We walked back to our hotel with full hearts over the adventures from the last few days.  We woke up the next morning and started the long journey back to Kansas City.  

I wish I could put into words how magical of a trip this was.  When we returned home I told Ken that I wish there was a proper way to explain all the fun we had when people ask about the trip, but there were so many moments that were magical with just the atmosphere that it is impossible to put into words.

This was such an unexpected trip and I am so grateful for all of the memories we were able to make.  After finishing off my first year as an ICU nurse, I can certainly say that I do not take getting to do things like this for granted.  After the things I have witnessed this past year, I am so grateful for every moment I get to spend with Ken.  If I can offer you one take away I want it to be just take the trip!  If you are on the fence about doing something you want to do, just do it!  You will not regret it, I promise.  

Alas, thanks for reading about our latest travel adventures!

Full hearts and empty gluhwein mugs in Munich, Germany - December 12, 2017


No comments: